Reasons You Can Sue to Recover Unpaid Wages

Posted on behalf of Peter T. Nicholl in Unpaid Overtime Aug 07, 2018

overtime pay formHas your employer failed to pay you the wages you are owed under federal or state law? You may be able to recover your unpaid wages by filing a lawsuit or a claim with the U.S. Department of Labor or Maryland's Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation.

There are many reasons to file a claim to pursue unpaid wages. Our Maryland unpaid overtime lawyers can review your situation to determine all your options. Schedule a free, no obligation legal consultation today.

Reasons You Can Sue

There are several scenarios that would give you cause to sue your employer for unpaid wages. These reasons to sue include:

  • You are being paid less than minimum wage (Maryland’s minimum wage was raise to $10.10 per hour as of July 1, 2018, with the exception of Montgomery County).
  • You are working more than 40 hours a week but are not being paid overtime.
  • You are being paid overtime, but not receiving the correct rate.
  • You work overtime but are denied overtime pay by your employer for various reasons.
  • You are not paid for all time worked, such as time outside your normal shift hours or time worked during scheduled breaks.
  • You have been misclassified as exempt from earning overtime when you should be eligible.
  • You have not been paid.
  • Your working hours were miscalculated by your employer and you were paid an incorrect amount.
  • You have not been paid in a timely fashion.
  • You have not been paid for unused vacation days.
  • You were not paid correct hazard pay.
  • You were not paid correctly per Maryland and federal wage laws or the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Wages You Can Recover

Suing for unpaid wages may allow you to recover various types of wages, including:

  • Unpaid work hours
  • Unpaid salary
  • Minimum wage
  • Overtime
  • Double time
  • Bonuses
  • Commissions
  • Unpaid vacation time

When suing for unpaid wages, the court may award you the unpaid wages as well as liquidated damages if they find your employer violated state or federal overtime or minimum wage laws. Liquidated wages are equal to double the amount of wages you are owed. You may also be able to recover compensation for attorney fees.

Building a Case

You will need strong evidence to support your claim of unpaid wages. Types of evidence used in unpaid wage claims include:

  • Paystubs
  • Employment contracts
  • Time sheets signed by your employer
  • Bank records and bounced checks
  • Records of communication regarding nonpayment and/or underpayment
  • Personal journal detailing when the wage payment issues occurred

Working with a Maryland unpaid wages attorney is to your benefit when pursuing a lawsuit against your employer. An experienced unpaid wages lawyer is well-versed on the wage laws that apply to your case. Your lawyer will also be able to help you collect the evidence needed to build a strong case against your employer.

Get Help from an Attorney

If your employer has failed to pay the wages owed to you by law, the Maryland unpaid overtime attorneys at the Law Offices of Peter T. Nicholl will help you pursue the compensation you are owed. We will review your case and inform you of the legal options available for pursuing payment of your unpaid wages.

Schedule a free, no obligation consultation today with our experienced legal team. When you work with our firm, there are no upfront fees and we only get paid if we are successful in recovering compensation for you.

Call 410-244-7005 or fill out our Free Case Review form now.

Contact our personal injury lawyers for a free consultation if you have been injured by another’s negligence. You may be entitled to compensation.



Our Offices

Local phone 410-244-7005
36 South Charles Street, Suite 1700
Baltimore, MD 21201

Local phone 757-397-6424
355 Crawford Street
Portsmouth, VA 23704