Blog

Is One-Time Exposure to Lead Paint Dust Dangerous?

Posted on behalf of Peter T. Nicholl in Lead Paint Poisoning Jun 29, 2022

chipping white lead-based paintTypically, people suffer lead poisoning after being exposed to small amounts of lead over a period of months or years. That said, short-term exposure to a significant amount of lead could cause lead poisoning.

That means it may be possible to suffer lead poisoning after being exposed to lead a few times. It may even be possible to suffer lead poisoning after one exposure if you were exposed to enough lead. Children under the age of six are especially prone to lead poisoning, which means short-term exposure to small amounts of lead can be especially dangerous for them.

Below, our experienced Maryland lead paint poisoning lawyers discuss short-term exposure to lead, including how it might happen and the potential health effects. If you or your loved one were exposed to lead and have lead poisoning, we may be able to help you take legal action.

Contact us to schedule your free consultation: 410-244-7005

How Does Short-Term Exposure to Lead Happen?

One of the most common sources of lead exposure is lead paint dust in old buildings. If you disturb lead paint, dust can get into the air, and it may take more than an hour for it to settle. However, lead paint dust could also get into the soil or water.

Even being in an old house one time could expose you to lead. That said, it may not be enough lead to cause significant health problems. If you get exposed to small amounts of lead many times, your odds of suffering lead poisoning increase dramatically.

It is important to be cautious around older homes in the Baltimore area and throughout Maryland. There are a lot of older homes here and lead may not have been safely removed from these structures. Lead-based paint could still be on the walls or woodwork in older homes. Landlords and property owners have legal responsibilities to inform potential buyers and tenants about the presence of lead.

You could suffer lead poisoning from drinking contaminated water, such as water from a faucet with brass plumbing fixtures that were soldered with lead.

People who work in auto repair or do home renovations are at high risk for exposure to lead. This is mostly because they may encounter lead on numerous occasions. If you are near a home renovation or auto mechanic one time you could potentially be exposed to lead paint dust.

People who work in mining, pipe fitting, battery manufacturing and painting are at higher risk for exposure to lead. These workers could also expose others if lead dust gets onto their clothes or in their hair. Sometimes lead dust may get brought home this way, and it could be released into the air in the home.

Reducing Your Risk of Lead Poisoning

Unfortunately, you might not know when you have been exposed to lead. If it happens once, it may not be a big deal because you may not have been exposed to a significant amount.

There are steps you can take if you are concerned you were just in a situation where lead exposure may have occurred. For example, if you are concerned your children may have been exposed to lead, make sure they wash their hands thoroughly, particularly before they eat. This can help reduce the risk of hand-to-mouth transfer of lead. This is particularly important if your child was playing outside of an old house, as the soil may have been contaminated.

Sticking to a healthy diet can also help lower the risk of lead poisoning. For example, try to make sure your children have enough calcium, vitamin C and iron in their diet. This makes it harder for children’s bodies to absorb lead.

Removing your shoes before entering your house can help to prevent lead paint dust from being released into the air.

What Are the Potential Signs of Lead Poisoning?

There are various symptoms that may indicate lead poisoning. If you were only exposed to a small amount of lead, you may not develop lead poisoning. That means it is highly unlikely you would experience symptoms of lead poisoning.  

Some symptoms to watch for include:

  • Pain in your joints
  • Pain in your abdomen
  • Trouble concentrating or remembering things
  • Headaches
  • Hypertension (high blood pressure)

If your child was exposed to lead, he or she may experience:

  • Hyperactivity
  • Lack of appetite
  • Constipation
  • Irritability
  • Seizures

Call Today to Learn More About Our Legal Services

Our attorneys have secured millions in compensation on behalf of those who have suffered lead poisoning. This includes a $3 million verdict for a 28-year-old who suffered permanent brain damage after being exposed to lead paint as a child.

If you or a loved one suffered lead poisoning, we may be able to help you. We can discuss your situation in a free legal consultation. There are no upfront fees if you hire our firm.

Call today to learn more: 410-244-7005

Contact our personal injury lawyers for a free consultation if you have been injured by another’s negligence. You may be entitled to compensation.

GET WHAT YOU DESERVE

410-244-7005

Our Offices

Maryland
Local phone 410-244-7005
36 South Charles Street, Suite 1700
Baltimore, MD 21201

Virginia
Local phone 757-397-6424
355 Crawford Street
Portsmouth, VA 23704